When you learn that you are suffering from gum recession, it might answer some of the questions that have been swirling around in your mind regarding why your smile looks a bit different. It might even explain some discomfort like sensitivity, which commonly arises when your gums are not in good health. To find out what’s happening to your oral health, we encourage you to learn more with a quiz (then, schedule a time for a visit).
Quiz Questions: True or False?
- True or False: Gum recession means that your gums are pulling back from their usual resting spot.
- True or False: If you deal with a receding gumline, it will certainly affect the way your smile looks by exposing a greater surface area of your teeth. It will also affect your oral health.
- True or False: Gum recession can be caused by a variety of diverse factors, including poor care or overzealous care!
- True. This is accurate. When gums recede, it means that they pull in the opposite direction of your tooth tips. As a result, your teeth may begin to appear longer than usual.
- True. When your gumline recedes, your smile will look different. You may not notice the change until it has advanced quite significantly. Unfortunately, since you need your gums to cover your roots and to lie flat, gum recession can also negatively affect your oral health.
- True. This shift in your gumline may be the result of anything from periodontal disease to your too-hard-brushing of your smile. We can offer you the information and treatments you need to keep your smile healthy.